Recipes for the Dietary Restricted

It's my firm belief that every cook needs to have recipes in her (or his) repertoire that meet the needs of people who either can't or won't eat a standard diet. Last night we hosted a friend and her brother, one of whom required gluten and diary free food.

I was pretty pleased with how everything turned out--I'd make the meal again even if we didn't have anyone over who needed the GF/dairy free aspect of it.

For our main dish, Chris grilled this chicken which I'd marinated. One of our side dishes was rice and the other was this interesting and delicious take on cauliflower. For dessert, Alisha and I modified a GF cookie recipe to make it dairy and egg free as well. (We would have used Thea's flax replacement for eggs, but I was out, so we subbed baking powder, oil and water.) They turned out pretty well. I've made them with butter and eggs before, and they are scrumptious even if you're not GF.

Mix together
3 eggs
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
1/4 t vanilla
1 T Karo syrup (corn syrup)
1 1/2 c peanut butter

Add
3 c quick oats
2 t baking powder
1 1/2 c coconut
1 c chocolate chips

Bake on a greased sheet for 11 minutes at 350.

Comments

Popular Posts