New Recipe of the Week: Crockpot Yogurt

Yep, you read that right...yogurt in a crockpot!  Credit for this one goes to Nourishing Days via Passionate Homemaking.


Crock Pot Yogurt

Recipe notes: This recipe uses a 2 quart crock. In using a 4 or 4 1/2 quart crock I found the yogurt to have a bit of a "springy" texture. I was able to alleviate this by heating the milk an additional 15 minutes for a total of 2 hours and 45 minutes.
  • Turn your crock pot to low and pour in 1/2 gallon of milk.
  • Heat on low for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
  • Once 2 hours and 30 minutes have elapsed turn your crock pot off and unplug it. Let the milk cool in the crock with the lid on for 3 hours.
  • After 3 hours remove 1-2 cups of the warmed milk and place in a bowl. To that add 1/2 cup of yogurt with live active cultures and mix very well.
  • Pour the yogurt-milk mixture back into the milk and whisk thoroughly.
  • Place the cover back on the crock and wrap the entire crock pot in a thick bath towel or two.
  • Let it culture overnight, 8-12 hours.
  • In the morning stir yogurt (if desired) and store in glass quart jars or a container of your choice.
  • For optimum texture, refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using.
Results: Lots of yogurt for cheap!  I knew what to expect as I grew up with homemade yogurt, though my mom used a Salton yogurt maker.

Things to do differently: It was pretty runny, but hopfully putting it in the fridge helps (haven't tried it since it went in there).  Also, try a higher quality starter.

What I did differently: I let mine sit for 16-17 hours as I timed it poorly and wasn't awake at 10 pm to check it. Also because a friend told me that would be fine.

Make again: As long as we keep using up the batches, sure!

Comments

Popular Posts