Contentment and Knives

Chris and I have a knife block with 5 knives.  One is a bread knife (of fairly decent quality) that we bought right after we moved to Y-town, and the others are fair to middlin' and I'm not sure how we acquired them.  While we were registering for wedding gifts, we decided to register for a set of good quality (read: spendy) knives.  We didn't get them, but that was okay; we'd just save up for them and get them someday, hopefully in the near-ish future.

Nearly four months into marriage, I've been rethinking our knives.  The ones we have work just fine and really, we don't need any others.  Between two small, two large and one bread knife, we're getting along just fine (thankfully, Chris agrees).  It's another way I'm learning to be content with what I have, and not "needing" more to be okay.  As the note next to 1 Timothy 6:6 in my Bible says, "contentment is not 'if I have this, that and the other thing, I will be content.'  Contentment says, 'whatever I have, I will be content.'"

Comments

Popular Posts