Tips on memorizing

Scripture memory has been a fairly active part of my life since the age of 3, especially from 7th-12th grades as I was involved in Bible Quizzing as well as Awana. Here are some tips I’ve gleaned during my years as a quizzer…

Memory tricks
When memorizing lists, find the acronym. This one is best explained by example. Take, for instance, Colossians 3:8, “But now, you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander and filthy language from your lips.” Notice…
Anger
Rage
Malice
Slander
[and filthy language]

So, according to that verse, get rid of your ARMS and lips. :)

Another example is Philippians 2…in the latter part of that chapter, Paul talks a lot about sending Timothy to Philippi. He pretty much says the same thing over and over but in different ways. Confusing to be sure, but you can remember verse 23, “I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me.” “Me” rhymes with 23, so you know those two are linked together.

Multitasking
This tip, given to me by Juliann, has been invaluable. Print out the passage or verses you are working on, laminate it (either with contact paper or the sticky 8 ½ x 11 sheets you can buy), and stick it on the shower wall. Presto! Memorizing while you clean yourself. It’s a good way to use your shower time, though I will warn you that your showers may start to get longer and longer…

Motions
We used this a lot with kids at camp last summer (and I sometimes sign to myself while memorizing)—making motions can help you learn the words, especially if you’re a kinesthetic learner. I tend to walk and flail when I memorize. No joke—it wasn’t until 11th grade that I could sit down/be still while I memorized. The motions don't have to make sense to anyone but you.

Music
[This is unintentionally being an alliterative post] A mom from my church sets her son’s memory verses to music. A few weeks ago, he (at at 2) sang upwards of 15 Bible verses. My sister learns her AWANA verses by song, and I’d wager most of us have learned several verses that way in church songs.

When I start to memorize, I usually take a chunk, repeat it, take another chunk, etc., but these are the ways I learn verses that take a little more effort. There are several other tips, such as flashcards, memorizing with a friend, etc., but these are some of things I have found most helpful in my quest to hide God’s Word in my heart. (Psalm 119:11)

What about you, reader[s]? Any ideas to share?

Comments

Kyle said…
The multi-tasking idea sounds like a way of bringing Deuteronomy 6 into the modern era.

Popular Posts