Honesty in music

I like honest music. Music that puts on a happy face or pretends to that life is always peachy keen is stuff I can't always relate to. Yeah, there are times when life is going amazingly well and I just want to jump for joy...but not always.

Andrew Peterson (among many others, but he is the topic of this rave) writes honest music. You all know that I am a huge fan of "Matthew's Begats" (which is hopefully going to be a children's book that I am SO buying). In addition to that song, he has many other excellent works. I recently procured two of his cds (The Far Country and Carried Along), and some of his best are "The Chasing Song," a reworking of Ira Sankey's first hymn, "The Ninety and Nine," "Little Boy Heart Alive," "More" and "Come, Lord Jesus."

"The Chasing Song" is honest when it says "Well I wish that I could say that at the close of every day/I was happy with the way that I'm behaving...David he chased God's own heart/all I ever seem to chase is me." As much as I hate it, I do find myself chasing me most of the time. Stupid sin. The second verse, however, affirms that "God knows the only time I'm winning is when I'm chasing Him." The song inspires me to be a God-chaser.

I also love how biblical his music is. The (first) chorus in "The Chasing Song" says,
'Cause Job, he chased and answer
The wise men chased the Child
Jacob chased her 14 years and he
Captured Rachel's smile
Moses chased the Promised Land
Joseph chased a dream
David, he chased God's own heart
All I ever seem to chase is me

"Matthew's Begats" also shows that Andrew knows his Bible and is able to creatively write truth into his songs.

His online journal is full of personal glimpses that let you see the heart of a man who truely desires to chase after God.

In addition to all that, one of his children is named Aedan--how much cooler can a person get? ;)

Comments

Popular Posts