It's Our History, Too!

Over the last few years, I've become increasingly aware of how little my peers know of Church history. Many Christian college students have no clue what Reformation Day, Ash Wednesday, All Saint's Day or any of the other holidays celebrated by the Church are. That really makes me sad. Like the title of this post says, it's our history, too!

I once heard a [very good] series of sermons that used the analogy of a song about our relation to the Church at large. We are just a part--a small part--of God's plan for human history that is played out in His body, the Church. Like a song, God's plan is complete--it goes from start to finish and has a theme, but it also has individual sections (like the notes, verses, etc.) We can't forget our place in the song.

It wasn't until I was in highschool that I finally began to understand the importance of the Creeds. (Thank you, Mr. Fakkema!) Each week we would discuss a phrase of the Apostle's Creed and what it meant. Thanks to Rich Mullins, I easily memorized it through a song.

Maybe this stems from my love of hymns. I don't know. But it...saddens (?) me that so many people are ignorant of our history. You can't be a 'Lone Ranger' Christian, and neither can the Church. Good or bad, we have a history. Let's learn from it. "Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us..." (Romans 15:4a) "Now these things occured as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things has they did." (1 Cor. 10:6)

Comments

Popular Posts