The MoneySavingMom's Budget

Audio books are perfect for me right now. If I read in the evenings, I have a tendency to fall asleep, and daytime doesn't allow for much, if any, sitting still to read. Audio books, however, can be enjoyed while folding laundry, loading the dishwasher or any number of things that fill my days. So even though I have a hard copy of Crystal's book, I jumped at the chance to review the audio book, simply because I knew I'd actually be able to hear the whole thing (even if it did take nearly a week).


I know a lot of people would probably write the book off as advice they've heard before, or only something that applies to them if they want to use coupons, but there's much to be gleaned by everyone (mom or not). Yes, Crystal does say you should use coupons (and gives very practical tips on how to do so) but it's so much more than that. Because we live an hour away from most grocery stores, I don't think couponing is super practical for me right now, especially since I have Timmy with me while shopping and we have no Sunday paper in our area.

However, we have drugstores in our town, so what's to stop me from playing the drugstore game and lowering our grocery budget that way? I'm inspired to try it in the evenings when Chris can stay with Timmy and I can fully devote my attention to taking advantage of some great deals.

One of the things I appreciate most about Crystal's book (and blog) is how down to earth and balanced her approach is. As she says over and over again, "if you can't afford something, it's not a good deal." Simple as that. She doesn't advocate blowing your budge on something just because it's a good deal, which is something I need to keep telling myself.


Oh, and if you're looking for motivation to declutter/organize, just listen to her chapter on clutter while staring at your very messy pantry. Quite inspiring!

Comments

Popular Posts