She's Got a Ticket to Ride

I've referenced the game Ticket to Ride about, oh, a million times on my blog. The lovely Fries family introduced us to it and in turn Chris and I showed the game to our families. I know some other friends of mine are big fans, so I thought I'd do a post about some variations of the game we've come up with.

Off to the Races
Deal like normal--five destination cards and four train cards (or however many you start with). Each player selects exactly three routes to complete and discards two. The game is played like normal, but ends when the first player completes all three routes. Once they're done, that's it. Another option we've started doing (and enjoy more) is leaving the trains on the board after the first round, discarding our current route cards and redealing them, using to our advantage the trains we've already played. The first player to complete all three routes wins. Typically three rounds make up a game. Instead of adding up route points (because we usually forget), the winner of each round gets a 30 point bonus. Bonus points for longest train and most routes completed still apply.

Where On Earth am I Going???
Deal six train cards and commence play with no destination cards. Play until a pre-determined amount of points (like 10 or 15) or until each person has played a certain number of trains. Once you've reached the goal, you draw destination cards like normal and proceed.

My Routes Were Predestined
(A little Reformed humor for ya.) We haven't actually played this version yet that I can recall, but I'd like to. Each player is dealt say, four or five routes and you have to complete all of them. Each person gets one more turn when one player has less than three trains, just like normal.

If you've come up with any versions of your own, we'd love to hear them!

Comments

Popular Posts