Missing Lent

Ash Wednesday sneaked up on me this year. So much so that I hadn't even given a thought to fasting and just that morning pulled my copy of Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross off the shelf. (And my copy of Isaiah 53 to memorize in the shower just came out of hiding a few weeks ago)

Much to my dismay, our church here doesn't celebrate Advent or Lent, so I'm learning how to observe them with just our family and not the involvement of a church.

As the days steadily march towards Easter, I'm excited to celebrate the resurrection of Christ, but to be honest, I'm also a bit scared. I'm worried that without much of a focus on Lent, Easter won't seem as glorious. I didn't start observing Lent until college, but once I did, Easter quickly became my favorite holiday. Coincidence? I think not.

So as we soon enter Holy Week, I'm going to do my best to remember Jesus and His sufferings, amidst the dirty diapers, spitup and feedings, and focus on the events leading up to that glorious Resurrection Sunday.

Comments

Popular Posts