Gift Idea: Etched Glass

While going through some old photos the other day, I realized that I never posted instructions for glass etching. I made these gifts back in May for Mother's Day and a thank you gift.  Since then, I've also made some wedding gifts using this technique.  Once they were given, I meant to post about them...and never did.  But, better late than never, right?

I got the original instructions here, but thought I'd post my step-by-step as well.


Supplies:
Contact paper
Letters (or whatever you're etching)
Foam brush
Etching cream (got mine from Craft Warehous)
Glass (I've done trifle bowls and a cookie jar)


Tape your image to the inside of your bowl.  Make sure it's straight.  Cover the outside with contact paper, making sure to leave a generous border.


With an exacto knife, carefully cut out your stencil and peel out the part you want etched.  Thankfully, this is a forgiving project so if you mess up you can just take off the contact paper and start over.  (I didn't have any issues with the knife scratching the glass.)

Cover the whole area with etching cream.  Because it's acid, I wore rubber gloves.

Let sit for 10 minutes.  Scrape off the cream and reapply.  (You can reuse it.)  Repeat.

Here's where it would be awesome to have pictures of the final product...but apparently I forgot to take them.  My apologies.

Anyway, rinse off the cream with cold water (best accomplished outside, in my opinion) as doing it in a porcelain sink will ruin it.  Remove the stencil and you're done!

Comments

Popular Posts