Real Food, Fake Food and Everything Else Inbetween

I didn't grow up on processed food.  And as an adult, I am so incredibly thankful that my parents placed a high priority on serving us good, real food, although it's only now that I realize how rare that was.  I didn't have a PopTart until I was in college (and then proceeded to eat way more than I should have), and am thankful that I grew up liking lentils.

As my sidebar shows, I just finished reading "Real Food" by Nina Planck.  I know plenty of people who have read it and was glad to finally get around to reading it.

Though I admit it was hard to come at it with a mindset of objectivity, because so many people I respect like the book, I thought it made a good case for eating 'real food' (basically, if your grandma wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it).  I've been thinking a lot more about what we put into our bodies (especially as I'm now responsible for cooking not only for myself, but also for Chris), and how to come at it with a balanced approach.

I don't think that going into my kitchen and throwing out everything that's not organic, local, raw or free range is the way to go.  That would be wasteful, not to mention rash.  However, making changes where it matters can be a God-honoring way to live healthfully.  At one of my favorite blogs, Passionate Homemaking, Lindsay wrote a post about how natural living can become an idol.  I think this is one of my biggest challenges so far as I am starting to learn more about this and try to objectively think about it.  My goal is not to be the "crunchiest" person around, but at the same time, I want to be a good steward of what we've been given (both in the variety of foods we enjoy as well as the knowledge about where that food came from), eating and living in ways that are honoring to God and using His gifts wisely.

Comments

Popular Posts