New Recipe of the Week: Quinoa Pilaf

I've been wanting to try quinoa for some time as it's incredibly good for you, and I'm happy to report that we found a delicious way to eat it!

Quinoa Pilaf
(from The Joy of Cooking)

Heat in large saucepan over medium low heat:
1-2 T butter or vegetable oil (I used butter)

If desired, add and cook, stirring until softened, about 2 minutes:
1 garlic clove, minced, or 2 T minced shallot or onion (I used garlic)

Add and cook, stirring until toasted and golden, about 3 minutes:
1 c rinsed and drained quinoa (you MUST rinse it well to ensure that it won't be bitter)

Stir in:
2 c boiling water or chicken broth
1/2 t salt

Cook over low heat, covered, until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 17 minutes.  Let stand covered, for 5 minutes.  Fluff before serving.

Results: Yummy!

To do differently: I still added half the salt, even though the bullion I used was salty, so next time I wouldn't add any extra salt.

What I did differently: I actually followed a recipe without changing it...shocking!

Make again? For sure!

Comments

Popular Posts