One New Recipe a Week


One of my goals for 2010 is to try, on average, one recipe a week.  I tried three this week (amazing!) and when Chris asked how I was keeping track of them, I decided that my blog would be a good place. So, here is where I will chronicle my attempts at expanding my cooking repertoire.


This week I tried Baked Oatmeal (I think this was the first time I'd made it), Scalloped Potatoes with Ham (hadn't made this exact recipe before) and Italian Spaghetti with Ham.  (Yeah, lots of ham this week-we were given two within a week.)


Here are the recipes as well as my notes:



  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cut into squares.



Results:
Good...I'd had this before so knew what to expect.  I think it'd be even better with chopped apples or dried fruit.



To do differently: Substitute brown sugar or honey to make it healthier and make sure it's thoroughly baked in the middle and make more--it only serves 4.


Make again? Yes!



  • 8 ounces spaghetti
  • 2 cups sliced ham, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup sliced black olives
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 cup butter

Directions

  1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
  2. While spaghetti is cooking, heat the 1 tablespoon butter or margarine in a large skillet. Saute ham and garlic.
  3. Drain spaghetti well, and combine with sauteed ham and garlic in the skillet. Over very low heat, slowly stir in the cheese, eggs, olives, and half of the parsley. Remove from heat. Add salt and butter to taste, and sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve.

Results: Very yummy!  A good change from traditional pasta.

To do differently: Add the ingredients in the right order.  I accidentally added the eggs before the pasta so they kind of stuck to the ham.

How I changed the recipe: Used spiral pasta as we didn't have any spaghetti and I also omitted black olives (we had none).  I forgot to add the rest of the butter at the end so it was on the drier side, but it's healthier that way and we both liked the taste.

Make again? Yes!

The scalloped potatoes were pretty traditional, and I am too lazy to type out the exact recipe...sorry.  But they were yummy!

( I apologize for the bold italics...blogger is having issues.)

Comments

Popular Posts