New Recipe of the Week: Pakistani Kima

So far I've been hitting it hard with the new recipes...we'll see if that enthusiasm continues for the next 11 months!

Last night's dinner was Pakistani Kima from the More with Less cookbook (an essential, I'm convinced).  It was a success!

Saute in skillet:
3 T butter or margarine
1 c onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

Add:
1 lb ground beef

Brown well. Stir in:
1 T curry powder
1 1/2 t salt
dash pepper
dash each cinnamon, ginger and tumeric
2 c cooked tomatoes
2 potatoes, diced
2 c. frozen peas or green beans (I used beans)

Cover and simmer 25 minutes.  Serve with rice.

Results: Quite delicious.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out as I hadn't ever used tumeric before, but it was a good curry.

Things to do differently: Not run out of the spices!  I didn't quite have the full amount of curry powder or salt, so it wasn't quite as flavorful as it should have been. Also, the cookbook suggested eating eat with coconut, which Chris and I both agreed would be really good.  I'd also like to try it with half the meat to make it healthier and more frugal.

What I did differently: Aside from the aforementioned lack of spices, I also used tomato sauce instead of cooked tomatoes because, despite my best efforts, I just don't like tomatoes.  I also added water to give it more liquid to simmer with, because Chris likes things more "saucy" and I didn't want it to burn.  Apparently I added more than 2 potatoes, because I just realized as I typed the recipe that it called for 2 potatoes, diced and not 2 cups of potatoes, diced.  Oh, well....

Make again: Yes!

Comments

Popular Posts