Book Review: Small Town, Big Miracle

Even though I am not some insanely well-read person like Thea or a philosophical nerd--er, genius like Jacob, I thought I would try my hand at some book reviews. This will be the first of (hopefully) many and will help keep me accountable to read more and do other stuff less!

Title: Small Town, Big Miracle
Author: W.C. Martin

This is book is about a topic very close to my heart--adoption. Small Town, Big Miracle tells the story of Possum Trot, Texas, a small-town church of 200 people who adopted 72 kids from the foster care system. Written by the pastor of the church, he tells how their interest in adoption was piqued and how God led them and guided them through the challenges of foster adoption. It's not a particularly well-written book, and I would take issue with some of their theology, but the story is quite enjoyable. It is encouraging to see a group of Christians taking seriously the command to "look after orphans" (James 1:27). Obviously, looking after doesn't equal adoption for everyone, but it does for some.

Small Town, Big Miracle is a pretty quick read that is encouraging and challenging to read (especially as I would like to adopt older kids, Lord and husband willing). You can order it online, or ask me to borrow it and I will sweet talk my mother into letting me lend it to you. :)

Comments

Popular Posts