Zzzzz...

How ironic that I'm writing this when I should be sleeping, because sleep is what I want to blog about. This is probably due to the fact that I just finished a House episode about sleep, but awhile back, I read a quote by C.J. Mahaney regarding sleep, and it's stuck with me. I want to touch on two things about sleep.
First off, the C.J. Mahaney quote. I don't remember where I first saw it, but a quick Google yielded the quote from Justin Taylor. In this interview, C.J. says, "Sleep is a sweet gift from God but it is also a daily reminder that we are not God. Only God “neither slumbers nor sleeps” (Psalm 121:4). Each night as I confront my need for sleep I am reminded that I am a totally dependent upon God. Sleep is a gift but it’s a humbling gift. Don’t just fall asleep tonight but seize the moment before you fall asleep to weaken pride and cultivate humility by acknowledging you are not self-sufficient, you are not the Creator. Sleep is a daily humbling reminder that we are completely dependent upon God." (Emphasis added)
We are totally dependent on God and sleep is a reminder of this. Try as we may to keep ourselves awake via activity, energy drinks, caffeine or sheer willpower (any college student has used at least one of those methods when studying), our bodies can't function without sleep. If we don't get it, we'll die.
Secondly, isn't it so cool that we get to sleep? I mean, God could have made us take a magic pill to revitalize ourselves or sit for 3.5 minutes and stare into space, but he didn't. He lets us sleep. It's a gift. As someone who enjoys sleep, I think this is rather cool.
Now, this gift must be used with precaution, certainly. Proverbs 6:10-11 and 20:13 both warn us of the consequence of laziness and too much slumber.
So while we must be careful not to indulge this gift too much (and really that warning goes for any of God's gifts), take the chance to enjoy sleep. You may be at a stage in life where it's precious and rare. Enjoy it, little as it may be. Learn to depend on God through sleep, and be thankful he gave it to us.
Goodnight. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts