Learning

I found this quote on the five15 blog and thought it to be quite interesting. I'm trying to apply it to my life, but it's definitely not easy.

“G.K. Chesterton said that there is no such thing as a boring subject. There are only bored persons. Everything in God’s creation is intrinsically interesting, though we are so dull-minded that we often miss the wonder of it all.”- World Magazine, June 17, 2006, page 9.

I believe that we are to work heartily at whatever we do (Colossians 3:23 and 1 Corinthians 10:31). And last I checked, that means to work and glorify God in whatever situation God has placed us in. Be it in prob and stats, interpreting, working at McDonald's...whatever we do, our lives, actions and attitude should glorify God.

Our culture teaches that some things are uncool or boring, but as Chesterton said, there is no such thing as a boring subject. I'm convinced that t.v. and the internet are two reasons we as a culture are so easily bored. Combine that with the instant gratification mindset we have, and you have a nation of easily bored people. Instead of trying to come up with more new and exciting things, I suggest that we look at thing with a new mindset. A mindset that recognizes though we might not find everything interesting, we try our best because it glorifies God, and that is what we're called to do.

P.S. In "Your God is Too Safe" by Mark Buchanan, he has a chapter devoted to wonder, which I highly recommend.

Comments

Popular Posts