"In the world but not of"

And now, a rant.

Anyways, we all know that Christians are supposed to be in the world but not of it (Romans 12:2). This is commonly used to justify things like not watching 'bad' movies and generally being different.

While being set apart from the world is a good thing, I'm convinced some people have taken it too far to the other extreme and actually need to be in the world more. (That last line was mainly aimed at conservative Christians who homeschool and think that it is the only way to raise godly kids.) I grew up in a Christian home (something for which I am very greatful) and mostly homeschooled.

On a web-site by people who are in my words 'freaking conservative,' they extol homeschooling and tell their opinion of public schools. I quote, "Our families will not be devoured and digested, becoming part of the feces of this carnivorous monster called public education, generated by the twisted minds of the morally ill."

Now, I don't know about you, but that pretty much makes me livid, upset and angry beyond belief. I know some incredibly godly people who are products of the public school system. Also (and this is probably my biggest beef with the whole 'homeschooling is the only way' crowd), if Christian kids aren't in public schools, who will reach the schools for Christ? I know I've said this before, but it's worth saying again. ;) Teachers in public schools can only do so much. It's the Christian kids in the highschools that will make the lasting difference in the lives of the world.

Christ never commands us to shut ourselves out from the world. How can you be a light to a people you know nothing about? Being in the world means having some sense of pop culture. No, you don't totally assimlate to the world, but how effective will your witness be if you are still living like it's the 1950's?

Well, peoples, there you have it...my first rant in this blog. You can stay tuned for more developements when I get the next bee in my bonnet. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts