What I Read: the 2020 Edition

 I opened up Blogger to write this post...and found the draft of my 2019 books that I never published. Good blogger I am not. 😂

Anyway, I read or listened to 31 books last year, not counting any that I read aloud to the kids or we read as a family. I suppose I could count those, but I'm too lazy to dig up that list.

I know many people read 31 books in 6 months (or even less), but taking into account the season of life I'm in right now, I'm happy with this. Though I will say that my goal for 2021 is to read more than 30 (half of which we own).

Without further adieu, here's the list, with commentary on some of the books. Mostly those that I read most recently, because I'm writing this over a year after finishing the first few titles.

1. Risen Motherhood

2. The Masterpiece
    This was a good book, though I felt the ending was a bit of a stretch and the main character made some decisions that I didn't think were consistent with who she was.

3. What is a Girl Worth?

4. Educated

5. Sold on a Monday
    I picked this one up on a whim and it was entertaining (took an unexpected turn at the end) but when I was done with it I sneaked it onto my brother's bookshelf without telling him.

6. I am Hutterite
    Picked this one up on a whim at the library because the other cult read I wanted wasn't available. Lots of people involved so it was a bit hard to keep them all straight, but I am fascinated by cults and this book was very informative about a group I didn't know much about. 

7. The Sound of Gravel

8. Sandy Toes
    I was laid up in bed one weekend  and needed something light to read, which explains the sudden Robin Jones Gunn kick.

9. Salty Kisses

10. Sunset Lullaby

11. One More Wish (re-read from waaaaaay back when)

12. Rainbow Valley

13. Becoming Us

14. Into Thin Air
    The entire time I read this, I kept thinking "why would anyone willingly do this??" I'm sure the feat of climbing the highest mountain in the world is a feeling that can't be put into words, but between the risk of death, hypothermia and a million other challenges I couldn't fathom why someone would attempt Everest. Not to mention the whole disaster the book recounts...

15. When Crickets Cry

16. Walk Across America (re-read)
    Still one of my all-time favorites.

17. Where the Crawdads Sing

18. The Day the World Came to Town 
    Highly enjoyed this book!

19. To Kill a Mockingbird (re-read)
    I read this in highschool and decided to read it again because I couldn't remember why everyone loved it. And now I do. SUCH a good book. I want to read Go Set a Watchman next (which my brother told me many people didn't like "and I know why they didn't but I'm not going to tell you.")

20. Anne of Windy Poplars

21. Anne's House of Dreams

22. Anne of Ingleside

23. At Home in the World
    Possibly not the best book to read during a global pandemic as traveling isn't exactly a thing right now. But I really enjoyed it and hope to be able to do more traveling as a family when we're able to do such things.

24. The Radium Girls
    Fascinating book, but also longer than it needed to be, I felt.

25. Leota's Garden (re-read)

26. The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found
    The Vanderbeekers books are so great. I need to read them to my family.

27. Jane of Lantern Hill
    Randomly chose this one on Hoopla and it was so good!

28. Behold the Lamb of God (re-read)
    I couldn't decide which of my two Advent books to read, so I read both.

29. Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus (re-read)

30. The Handmaid's Tale

31. Hillbilly Elegy
    This was an interesting read. I don't agree with the author on everything, and I felt it rather presumptuous that seemed to make so many conclusions about his people and speak for them, but I did appreciate that he didn't think government programs weren't the solution to everything.

Comments

Popular Posts