Saving our Sunday Mornings

Like many (most?) church going families with young children, Sunday mornings can be a less than peaceful time as you try to get everyone out the door looking presentable* and not too late. Until the last year and a half ish, we had done cereal or toast for breakfast, but it was always slightly chaotic (and cereal doesn't keep them full), so one week I decided to give baked oatmeal a try.
A taste of heaven in a bowl

People, it was magic. It's easy, relatively healthy, everyone loves it and can eat at the same time and we were a few minutes early to church.

Here's how we do it...

The night before, I prep the dry ingredients in a bowl (sometimes I'll be really on top of it and pre-make a few weeks' worth in Mason jars).
3 c oats
1/2 c sugar (this is half of what the recipe called for--I slowly decreased it from the full amount)
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon

Chris is an early riser (which, admittedly, is why this works so well--if you don't have a husband who gets up before everyone else I'm not sure what to tell you, other than you can't have mine) so in the mornings he adds:
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 c oil

And then puts it in a 9x13 pan and bakes it at 350 for 25 minutes. It's ready by the time the kids get up and everyone can eat together. It lends itself well to toppings--a few of my people like brown sugar or chocolate chips, but my absolute favorite is fresh blueberries.

And that's how we make Sunday mornings run a little more smoothly around here. I'm not making any promises that it'll work magic for your families, but a few months ago we didn't have oatmeal on a Sunday morning (I forget why) and were late to church. The next week we were back to our regularly scheduled oatmeal and pulled in the church parking lot approximately 5 minutes before the service started. YMMV.

*as my boys' jeans have increased in holes, so have my standards lowered. 

Comments

Popular Posts