New Recipe of the Week: Tuna Turnovers

 (Note: I didn't try a new recipe last week, but since the goal is to average one per week, I'm forgiven, right?)

Tuna Turnovers
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine:
1 c. tuna or diced cooked chicken
1 c. shredded cheese
1/4 c chopped celery
1 t chives OR 1 t onion, finally chopped
mayonnaise to moisten
salt and pepper

Prepare:
1 recipe biscuit dough
2 c flour
3 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

Cut in:
1/4 c shortening

Add all at once, stirring to form soft ball:
3/4 c milk

Knead on floured surface 20-25 times.

Roll dough 1/8"-1/4" thick, cut into four inch rounds or squares.   Place about 2 1/2 T filling on each; fold over and seal.  Brush tops with melted margarine.  Bake 15 minutes.

Results: Pretty good, nice and filling.

Things to do differently: Try using some whole wheat flour to make it healthier.

What I did differently: Used ranch instead of mayo (but that's standard around here).  I also just spread some soft butter on the top instead of using melted butter because, face it, I'm lazy.  And have no pastry brush.  I also added way more onion than it says because onions are delicious, and didn't add any celery.

Make again? Yeah...Chris and I both liked them, and I think they were more filling than regular tuna sandwiches.

Comments

Popular Posts